Following a mid-day 5-4 win against the Astros, the Cubs season ended quietly while another team of castoffs in Oakland capped a 93-win season and a legendarily horrible franchise in Baltimore secured a completely unforeseen playoff slot. I say this not to depress, but to inspire hope. Things can turn around. Quickly, even - though I'm not banking on much October baseball in 2013. The Cubs have the #2 overall pick next year. They have Anthony Rizzo, Starlin Castro, and what's shaping up to be an exciting minor league system. It's not a whole lot, but it'll seem like untold wealth by the time I'm begging baseball to come back (mid-February or so).
- Those of you with wrathful hearts, rejoice: Ryan Dempster crapped the bed again ala the 2008 posteason. With a must-win situation against the surging A's, Dempster Baby managed 6 hits and 5 earned runs in 3 innings. Only one walk, though, so that's different. The Rangers lost 12-5, giving the division lead to the Athletics for the first time all season. So if you can't have Randall Delgado, at least you can have a joyously spiteful memory, if that's your bag.
- I choose to look positively on things, so instead of focusing on Dempster crapping out, I'd rather talk about how awesomely 80s Oakland's jerseys were. Drink it in deep:
- Len & Bob switched places with Pat & Keith midway through the game. Glorious. I wonder how many people were paying attention to notice.
- With no (Cubs) baseball and no hockey, people are going to attempt to engage me about politics for the next month. I steadfastly refuse. It's time to learn about cricket, or start watching soccer again, or develop an interest the WNBA.
- Let's not forget - 2013 begins the era of Cubs prospects playing in Kane County. It might not seem like a big thing now, but that's because the previous regime didn't have much use for the minor leagues. With Theo and Jed drafting, some really exciting players are going to play just West of Chicago.
- 61 wins is absolutely terrible. I cannot imagine it gets worse before it gets better. But I've been surprised before.
Nintendo! Malort! Crawling! These are a few of our favorite things. They can be yours as well, with the simple purchase of this shirt. Timeline's tight on this one folks, so don't delay, as you need to get the order in by Friday. EARLY. What? Haven't you looked at the posting frequency? We're lazy.