Breaking News: Cubs Tickets On Sale?!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Breaking News: Cubs Tickets On Sale?!

. Saturday, February 26, 2011


Next year, look for the silhouette to be facing the other direction

So yesterday was the day that, for as long as I could remember, I wait for from post-Bears collapse on. Its the day that makes me think Spring is finally here, and the shit we put up with throughout the Winter in Chicago (seriously, there hasn't been snow on the ground for a week, please remove you Rubbermaid from the street and let me park) is almost over. But this year, it was different. I had known that the tickets were going on sale on the last Friday in February for awhile, yet would have completely forgotten had John not texted me that the VRMs were open. Of course, being a creature of habit, I dutifully entered and played the waiting game.

Of course, the games everyone wanted were the same: Yankees top priority (hell, the whole ad campaign for tickets this year has prominently featured Yankee players), then Opening Day, then Sox on Saturday, and maybe a Cards game in August. By the time I got in, all the Yankees were gone, Opening Day was still available (and still is!), Sox and Cards were gone. Sign. No games really excited me enough to commit to them now, so I DIDN'T BUY A SINGLE TICKET. It was a first for me. Waiting a couple hours (though, a few years ago, I know people that waited upwards of 12 hours before getting in), looking at the options, I decided, eh, pass.

This doesn't mean I won't be going to any games. I will attend the Opener, as I have most of the past 10 years. I did end up buying tickets later on in the day (around 3:30 pm, was able to go directly into the ticketing site, no VRM) for an anomaly on the schedule of a Saturday home game against the Giants at 6 pm (yikes, that's going to be a mess!), but that's it. If last year taught me anything, its that tourists pay face.

So what does it all mean? I think people are sick of paying for the privilege of sitting in Wrigley. The fact that they have a gall to charge $72 for bleacher tickets is almost enough to make me boycott the season altogether (which would last about as long as a an Artie Lange fast).

Geo Soto fired has last off-season trainer.

So I guess that sums up my ticket day. This one certainly has the most depressing theme of our ticket day posts here and here and here and especially here. I guess that's why its been so long since I've posted.

0 comments: