WAIW Salute: Captain Lou Albano

Thursday, October 15, 2009

WAIW Salute: Captain Lou Albano

. Thursday, October 15, 2009


WAIW would be crazily remiss if we didn't tip our caps to the recently departed Captain Lou Albano. He rode that wild wave of Hulkamania before it crested, and eventually hit the low-water mark with "Hollywood Hogan" and reality shows. Now, you might think I'm going to go for a Hulkamania video here, and you might think I'm going to invoke Cindy Lauper. But you're wrong, motherfuckers, because this man reached his greatest heights as Mario. That's right - the Super Mario Brothers Super Show.



I used to rush home from school to catch it Monday through Thursday (Friday was Legend of Zelda). Further, on those rare Saturdays where I drag my ass out of bed early enough to make a proper batch of breakfast tacos, I still like to pop in a Super Mario Brothers Super Show DVD (impulse purchase at Target) and rock out like I'm still some taco-eating child. The next time I do it, I'll pour one out for Captain Lou. And I'd advise you all do the same.

How can one properly pay tribute to such a man who provided such entertainment? Well, I've got one idea:

1. Swing your arms from side to side
2. Take one step and then again
3. Let's do the Mario, all together now
4. Booze

0 comments: