WAIW Cubs Blog Roundtable, Week 17: I Want YOU

Friday, July 17, 2009

WAIW Cubs Blog Roundtable, Week 17: I Want YOU

. Friday, July 17, 2009

We at WAIW are lucky enough to be acquainted with the operators of a bunch of excellent Cubs blogs. Every Friday throughout the 2009 season, we're going to bring as many of them as we can together to share their thoughts on being Cubs fans. This week - who is it you think would fix the Cubs?:

You've just seen the game's best players participate in the two days pageantry that was the All Star festivities. Clearly the Cubs were not out in full force. Some think that we need to shake things up. If you could have one player from any team, who do you think would right the ship at Addison and Clark. And who on the team would you be willing to give up?

Jen

How about somebody we might actually be able to acquire…Freddy Sanchez? Pittsburgh hasn’t been entirely clear on what they are seeking in return but surely we could package together something around a member or two in our army (or rather, "short bus") of middle infielders. Though the way this year is going, if he managed to keep his numbers up in a Cubs uni, Freddy would probably end up on the DL after snagging one of his moles on the batting cages.

- Jen writes Cub Blogging, and has just made us throw away breakfast with that unseemly mole business.



Ace

Given the makeup of the current team, Chase Utley would look pretty sweet at second base. And whom to give up? The minors. All of it.

- Ace does The Cubs Brickyard and Bleacher Nation, and is clearly underestimating the worth of top prospects like Wellington Castillo, Jason Waddell, and Muschko. For shame.

Jay

My first thought was to trade Mike Fontenot to the Marlins for Hanley Ramirez which would allow Theriot to switch over to second base. Let's face it though, that's absurd. I forgot about the obvious problem of the Cubs being too right-handed. The Cubs would never trade a left-handed hitter for a right-handed hitter and I feel foolish for even suggesting it.

Therefore, I'll go with Fontenot for Utley. Yeah, that should do it.

- Jay, of Bush League Times, utilized the popular "it's a video game, so I can trade whoever I want" school of management. Bravo!

Wrigleyville

Interesting question, because the natural answer is the best player in baseball - Albert Pujols. That said, adding Albert wouldn't necessarily improve the Cubs as much as adding Chase Utley or Ian Kinsler at second base.

That said, I would add Albert Pujols. He's pretty good.

As for who would I be willing to give up? There's really not an answer to that because there's no scenario where the Cubs can trade for Pujols, is there? This isn't fantasy baseball.

- Wrigleyville23. Visit it! Yes, I'm tired at this point in the clever bylines game. Want to fight?

Ginger Russ

The Cubs need Albert Pujols. There, I said it.

I feel dirty now though. I take that back.

No, I'm sticking to my guns. The Cubs need offense. Pujols is the best hitter in baseball. Joe Morgan told me so. We all hated Lassie Edmonds when he came to the Cubs, but he seemed to work out, kinda. We can learn to like Pujols, can't we?

What should we give up? I hear the people in St. Louis like crack. And free dentist exams. And All-You-Can-Eat Roadkill Buffets. Throw in Lee as well, we have a backup first baseman in HoffPOWER. Give back Miles as well, little sh!t hasn't helped this team one bit. Might as well throw in Bradley too, he's worthless. Speaking of worthless, do they need a left fielder who likes to hop? How about a Canadian that does impersonations? Or an Obama look-a-like?

Who are we kidding, this team needs more than just one player to turn things around. It NEEDS Mark DeRosa. Come back to us Mark. We promise to give you our wives and girlfriends, they think about you when we're making whoopee anyways. Why did Hendry ever let you go? WHY!?!

- College of Idiots idiot and TMS intern Ginger Russ has some unresolved issues with DeRosa. And possibly his medication. Word.

Corey

I have to go with the obvious choice. I would do just about anything to have Albert Pujols with the Cubs. As fans of the team in the other dugout when Pujols is playing, we have seen what he's capable of. He's still young and one of the most consistent and dangerous players in baseball. I suppose it's kind of easy to say that I'd like the guy that's probably the best player in baseball, but that's who I'd take.

- Corey, Ivy Envy. Yep, that's all I got.

5 comments:

J.J. said...

I don't think the addition of one guy is going to magically make this team better. Hasn't that already been tried? Let's not forget the huge contract given to Soriano, and Nomar worked out well, didn't he?

John said...

Manny worked out okay for the Dodgers last year.

J.J. said...

But Manny was using "performance enhancers", does that still count?

KD said...

Lady performance enhancers at that.... :)

Jay said...

I actually thought I might have been giving up too much. My first offer was Aaron Miles...