Phillie (win in) the 13th

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Phillie (win in) the 13th

. Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Jeff Samardzija begins another day of loneliness

Tuesday nights are bargain movie night at the movie theater on Western in Chicago, which entails a $6 fee in exchange for admission and popcorn. Planning on seeing the 9:40 Public Enemies, I figured that, with the 6 pm start I would be able to also catch the entire game. Then the Cubs did what I should no longer be surprised at: wasted a great starting pitching effort by giving no run support and losing in extra innings. Oh ya, and Dillinger dies.


More spoilers after the jump. (Editor's Note: Jump not working for me and I have already wasted 30 minutes trying to figure it out. But I really wanted to keep that line. So, pretend you clicked)

John had asked me what I thought about our chances of Harden after our All-Star had his worst start of the season. I replied that conventional wisdom would dictate he would throw a no-hitter. While not quite accurate, he did pitch 7 solid innings, only allowing 4 hits and 1 run. And John laughed at me. I heard that because his records are so much better at night and on the road, they are going to try to minimize day games as much as possible, and avoid the getaway days on the road. Hell, whatever works. Stranger things have happened; I mean…According to Jim is still on the air.


Ooooo John's girlfriend is going to be so pissed about this reference!

Now, I left at the end of the 10th inning to go to the movies. Checked the score once before the movie started and saw it was still 1-1 in the top of the 13th. As the movie began, I felt the phone ring and tried to ignore it. Unfortunately, with the Blackberry every present red flashing light when there is an unread message, combined with the face that I was wearing linen shorts, this proved more difficult. Rather than be that asshole that is texting, I shut down the phone without reading the message. I figured it was about the Cubs, but, goddammit, Johnny Depp waits for no one. So I waiting 2 and a half hours to find this message from John: “You’re favorite blew it for us, want to recap.” My mind began racing of who the sarcastic favorite could possibly be? Did A-Ram make a fielding gaff? Did Soriano drop another routine fly ball? Opening up the recap on cubs.com, I saw immediately what he meant with in the first two words: Jeff Samardzija. I hate Notre Dame. I hate Notre Dame fans. And I especially hate Notre Dame fans that rushed out and bought green Cubs Samardzija jerseys. You look like even a bigger asshole now, which is a tough task. So, Jeffy (got tired of trying to remember how to spell your last name), go back to Boise or Iowa, because your two pitches just aren’t cutting it anymore.



Due to quality start, spared from mockery

Oh, Cubs lost, 4 to 1.



3 comments:

emily said...

According to Jim, you're an a-hole.

KD said...

OMFG. When I saw that Rocky Dennis picture, I seriously almost simultaneously wet my pants and fell out of my chair. I take it back-THAT is the best caption (and pic) ever!

THANKS WAIW! :)

Steve said...

its a long standing believe we have about jeff samardzija:

http://wastingawayinwrigleyville.blogspot.com/2008/06/draft-day.html

http://wastingawayinwrigleyville.blogspot.com/2009/02/cubs-5-dodgers-3-win-is-win-even-when.html