Weekend Recap: Could Be Worse

Monday, June 8, 2009

Weekend Recap: Could Be Worse

. Monday, June 8, 2009

I think this pretty much sums up how we all would look if we were the ones that had to talk to the bullpen

Things could be worse. As a team, we aren't really coming together and there are many glaring holes, yet we still are only 3.5 games out of first. I know, it's hard to believe. It's like the time I put in a bid of $1 on eBay for 47 McDonald's Happy Meal toys to prove a point that I never win anything on eBay, only to have a big shipment of crap show up at my door a week later: we are somehow still in this despite our best efforts to not really want to be. So much like my personal life, we keep on hanging in there, and before you know it, a shit load of 101 Dalmatians will show up at our respective doors.




Alex Gonzalez shows Ryan Theriot where to let a grounder go if you want to blow the pennant

As far as a road series goes, I am not going to be upset about taking 2 of 3. It is a shame that Wells still hasn't gotten a win despite superb pitching. It must piss him off to see Arroyo with 7 wins and a 5.00 ERA while Wells has none with a 1.86 ERA. Especially because, you know, Bronson Arroyo is a huge douche. Wells' fine outing was ruined by the bullpen, a phrase I hope the Cubs don't copyright, or else all the beat writers and bloggers will go broke. Fortunately, redemption was had after 14 innings and the Cubs got the win in a game which I did not have much faith in. I happened to be at the White Sox game that day (for work LAY-OFF!!!!), and turned the Cubs game on in the sky box. I jokingly said that I was going to be pissed because the Sox game would be over before the Cubs game and I would have to leave before I could see the end. Well, my friends, that is exactly what happened. Miraculously, I was able to make it home by the top of the 14th (not surprisingly, red line crowds are like the attendance at U.S. Cellular - very sparse) and saw the Cubbies pull it out. That, coupled with a White Sox pounding, made it a pretty decent Sunday.



Evidently, "Rosales Hustle" is Cincinnatian for "Fast Food"

After an off day today (which allowed for your favorite slackers at WAIW this leisurely recap posting), we are off to Houston for three winnable games against the last place Astros (I know we are only 3.5 games ahead of them and the whole point of this post is about how 3.5 games is nothing - but it gives me more confidence to say "last place Astros"). I really hope something starts to click with this team soon though, because, despite taking 2 of the 3 games this past weekend, for some reason I don't feel good about it. Damn off-days, give me time to reflect. Let's play some ball already!

0 comments: