WAIW Cubs Blog Roundtable, Week 6: The All Stars of Okay

Friday, May 1, 2009

WAIW Cubs Blog Roundtable, Week 6: The All Stars of Okay

. Friday, May 1, 2009


We at WAIW are lucky enough to be acquainted with the operators of a bunch of excellent Cubs blogs. Every Friday throughout the 2009 season, we're going to bring as many of them as we can together to share their thoughts on being Cubs fans. This week - superlative averageness:

Despite recent bouts of unfortunate booing, Cubs fans have a long history of embracing fair-to-pretty good players. Jody Davis, Mitch Williams, and Glenallen Hill immediately spring to mind. Steve has a borderline-unhealthy fixation on Mike Fontenot, despite the fact that the man has no business playing 3rd base. Get too many beers in John, and he starts talking about Jose Guzman's almost-no-hitter in 1993. Which non-star Cubs players made you glad to watch baseball on the North Side?

Joe Aiello

I’m embarrassed to say it, but two of my all time favorite Cubs were Rey Sanchez and Steve Trachsel. Growing up, I would play baseball in the park with friends and I’d always march out to shortstop and pretend I was the great Rey Sanchez. Why I thought he was a good player, I have no earthly idea. As for Trachsel, something about him drew me in. I was pretty excited to see him come back a few years back, but once I was reminded of how slow he pitches, I questioned all I once held dear about him.

- Joe Aiello runs View From the Bleachers, and is clearly overlooking the equally great Rey Ordonez

Ace

I was always inappropriately high on Mickey Morandini. I'd like to say it was because of his heart and because he played the game the "right way." But I really don't remember. He was never particularly good, but how can you not love that name?

Ok, well I guess he was pretty good that magical 1998 year. But my love is still just based on the name.

- Ace and his love for professional athletes that look like diesel mechanics can be found at The Cubs Brickyard and Bleacher Nation





Wrigleyville


I liked Randall Simon. He seemed to enjoy himself, and who doesn't like Sausage sluggers?



- Wrigleyville comes to us from Wrigleyville23, and we thank him for giving us another excuse to post that video

Jen

His career .226 average didn't make Henry Blanco jerseys fly off the shelves at Wrigleyville Sports, but the memory of Hank White shines bright in this Cubs fan's heart (he's not dead but he's on the Padres - same diff). When Hank wasn't gunning down foolhardy baserunners, molding a rookie into an Of-The-Year variety, or charming us with a sporadic home run, he left us spellbound with his curly mullet and prison-yard-quality ink. However, the Cubs declined his option and bought out his contract this winter. I had assumed they'd take the financially savvy - albeit dickish - route of bring Hank back at a lower pricetag. But they let that right-handed angel fly away to SoCal, leaving a hole as broad as his shoulders in our hearts.

- Jen can be found at Cub Blogging when she isn't writing letters to her prison pen pals

Corey

I think because I started following the Cubs in '85 and Ryne Sandberg was tossing the ball to him, I figured that Leon Durham was probably the best first-baseman in baseball. The fact that I was 7 years old probably had something to do with it, too. If I had started following the Cubs a few years earlier and experienced his Gatorade Glove deal in '84, I probably would have been a little more critical. Regardless of how his career wrapped up, I loved the glasses and the man that anchored first base for the Cubs for 8 seasons.

- Corey, from Ivy Envy, is the one Cubs fan we've heard express fondness for Leon Durham. There's a first time for everything.

Ginger Russ

I have always loved the little guy. And when I say the little guy I don't mean the guy that never gets noticed, I mean the short guy. With Lou Pinella has come a bunch of vertically challenged players to our team, all of which have been currently platooning the left side of the Cubs infield. Namely, I'm talking about the combo of Little Babe Ruth, The Riot and the Spy (Fontenot, Theriot, and Miles). With an average height of 5'9", other baseball players, umps and ball boys tower over them. Yet like the midget cowboys singing backup on the new Jack in the Box commercial, the Cubs would be only a shell of a team without the Cajun Connection (+1). The Riot is batting over .300, Little Babe Ruth has 3 dingers, and the Spy, well...Miles just plain sucks. (Stop hugging Pujols, he's the enemy now!) And they said a midget would never play ball after Eddie Gaedel was walked on Sunday, August 19, 1951.

But I digress from the question. Some of my notable non-star favorites include Damon Berryhill, Eric Karros, Les Lancaster, and recently Mike Hoff-POWER. But being a redhead, I have to say my favoritist was the greatest redhead to ever play for the Cubs (Rick Sutcliffe who?), Matt "Ginger" Murton. Ginger came over in 2004 with Nomar (my most ill-fated Cub from a previous Roundtable). In his short 3 year career he hit just under .300, yet, other than a particular Cubs blog which took Murton's name for their own, he was unappreciated by most fans. And granted he tailed off at the end of his Cubs career, but his trade brought us Rich Harden, which synched up the Cubs starting rotation to be the best in the NL last year (and presumably this year, although that has yet to be seen). So from ginger Cub fans everywhere, we salute you Matt Murton!

- Ginger Russ, when not secretly plotting the eventual ginger takeover of the world that will ultimately lead to terrifying apocalypse, blogs with the other (non-ginger) members of the College of Idiots

1 comments:

Ginger Russ said...

I will never grow tired of that Randall Simon clip.