WAIW Cubs Blog Roundtable, Week 5:

Friday, April 24, 2009

WAIW Cubs Blog Roundtable, Week 5:

. Friday, April 24, 2009


We at WAIW are lucky enough to be acquainted with the operators of a bunch of excellent Cubs blogs. Every Friday throughout the 2009 season, we're going to bring as many of them as we can together to share their thoughts on being Cubs fans. This week, we're all OMG, bEst day evr over the Hawks and Cubs wins last Saturday:

Saturday not only saw the Cubs come back and win against the hated Cardinals, but the Hawks and Bulls achieve playoff victories. Also, some second-rate squad from the South Side apparently won their game. What's the best sports day you've ever had?

Corey

I know this sounds cliche and I'm beginning to notice that 2003 has played a larger role in my psyche than I thought. But I can't think of a time that I was any more hopeful about something in sports than I was after Game 4 of the NLCS. So I'm going to say that's the best sports day. Matt Clement beat Dontrelle Willis and Aramis Ramirez (fresh to the Cubs from the Pirates) hit two homeruns. It was the third game in a row that the Cubs beat the Marlins and the second game that the Cubs had won in Florida. the Cubs could even afford to lose the last game in Miami and still come back to Chicago for games 6 and 7. Nothing but blue skies.

- Corey's latest Ivy Envy podcast features a certain WAIW editor. Go over there and check it out.



Ginger Russ

My favorite day in sport's history was October 26th, 2005. Yes, the day Chicago finally won a WS since 1917. It was a great day at beautiful Minute Maid Park. Jon Secada sang the National Anthem and Lyle Lovett sang God Bless America. Juan Marichal threw the first pitch to Ivan Rodriguez and Chicago was poised to sweep the Astros. The game was scoreless till the seventh, but all Chicago needed was one run. People in Chicago went crazy, as I received text's from my family, "We did it!" Greatest sport's day ever!

Oh, wait... wrong f---in' team! I didn't even watch that series.

No, my favorite day will be when the RIGHT Chicago team wins the WS. It was supposed to be last year, even the year before that, and possibly even closer in 2003. And whether or not I chose to travel 1,400 miles to be a part of it in Chicago (I have been told this is as retarded as it is being a true Cub fan) it will not only be the greatest sports day of my life, but the greatest single day EVER of my life. I just hope I will still be around to see it.

-Ginger Russ, from the College of Idiots, is getting geared up for another Cubs series in the desert next week

TLFC

Initially, the TLFC thought back to a Little League game when we not only won the game but also got to stop at Wendy’s on the ride home for Frostys. But, through some deeper memory analysis (made possible by the TLFC hyperbaric chamber/dream machine), we were able to pinpoint December 6, 2006 as the best sports day ever. Why? B/c that was the day that Chicago Cubs made the decision to sign Ted Lilly and Ted Lilly made the decision to pack up and move his fan club to Chicago. It's been ab references and oh-so-clever acronymns ever since (OSCAES).

Additionally, on a side note, it’s also the day that we bought a used 8-bit Nintendo off of eBay and stayed up to the wee hours of the night, drinking Mt. Dew, eating Little Caesars pizza and playing Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out (damn you Piston Honda, damn you) until TLFC House Mom Brenda made us go to bed.

TLFC Super Computer has also asked us to include the fact that December 6, 2006 was also the day that NASA revealed photographs taken by Mars Global Surveyor suggesting the presence of liquid water on Mars. Silly, TLFC Super Computer...

-The Ted Lilly Fan Club needs to work on its Punch-Out!!. Piston Honda is, like, the third character.

Ace

Oh Lord how I wish this answer could have something to do with the Cubs.

But sadly, they've not yet given me that day. Being that I'm a huge Michigan Wolverines fan, I suppose by default I'd have to go with January 1, 1998, when the Wolverines beat Wazzu in the Rose Bowl to win the National Championship. Well, until whiny crybaby Scott Frost got on the airwaves and begged for some sympathy votes for Tom Osbourne's Nebraska squad, the championship was split.

-Ace maintains both the Cubs Brickyard and Bleacher Nation. He also maintains that Scott Frost sucks, a stance that is WAIW-approved.

Jen

I'd have to go with my first (and only) Wrigley Field doubleheader. The beer flowed, the sun shined and the Cubs won. Granted, a mere few hours later I was broke, sunburned and the Cubs were losing...but when you can start a first inning with the blood alcohol content of a ninth inning, the end results are surprisingly numbing. Best day ever!

-Jen runs Cub Blogging, and WAIW is out of clever bylines for today

3 comments:

Official Ted Lilly Fan Club said...

True...Piston Honda was the 3rd character but, like Tab, we believe that Mt. Dew has mind-alerting effects.

In addition to struggles w/ PH, we also saw unicorns, watched paint bleed off of our fan club walls and traveled through space.

Steve said...

TLFC, I think you are lying. From my days as a hard-core gamer (i.e. Excitebike and RBI Baseball), those sound like side-effects of JOLT!, not the dew. You were on the hard-stuff WEREN'T YOU!

Official Ted Lilly Fan Club said...

(sadly nodding head in agreement)