Cubs Media Monday: Easy Listening Edition

Monday, April 6, 2009

Cubs Media Monday: Easy Listening Edition

. Monday, April 6, 2009

I know that WGN has never been the hippest station in the world, but I wouldn't want you to forget how it used to rock and folksy brand of bland that will probably never be duplicated. At the time, the station showed three things - syndicated television, the Cubs getting shellacked, and various "Conan" and "Beastmaster" films when rain prevented the second one. People, my parents and myself included, sort of watched because that's what you always did. And somehwere along the way, they wormed their way into our hearts. That's why Cubs fans who grew up in northern Illinois
regard games on WGN almost as a religious service, while a great many seem to find it nothing more than a low-definition pain in the ass. And while I'm inclined to agree about their HD shortfalls, I'd be heartbroken if the Cubs and WGN parted ways. I imagine it'll happen soon, what with the team being a cash bonanaza while they're winning and all. I'm just trying to enjoy it while it lasts. WGN created generations of fans with their daily broadcasts. That's why even up to the '90s, the network could get away with some of the most bland, beige promos ever aired for sports.



Observe:



I have said it before, and I will say it again: old people Cubs fans are damned adorable. My intent is not to patronize, but reading that last sentence, it sure does come out that way. You know why you never see videos of cute old person Sox fans? Because they're already dead from meth lab explosions and prison knife fights.



I believe the children are our future. That's why, the next time I'm considering yelling "Yovanni Gallardo, I WILL RAPE YOUR CORPSE," I'll pause and remember this video. Oh, I'll still yell it, but I'll feel bad about it.

Sure, these videos may be somewhat boring. In fact, operating industrial machinery while watching these videos might lead to gruesome workman's comp. But they give a pastoral (ish) vision of simpler times, before sports promos had to feature a sponsor, "Get Down With the Sickness," or, you know, actual athletes.

2 comments:

Legend Of 24 said...

I loved watching Cubs games and "Beastmaster" growing up in Central Pennsylvania. It was much better than WPIX out of New York. Even when I was young, I'd rather be beaten around the head and neck than watch the Mets or Yankees or listen to there "homer" broadcasts.

John said...

That's called "being raised right." Kudos to you, sir.