Wasting Away in <s> Wrigleyville </s> Mesa: The Denouement

Friday, March 6, 2009

Wasting Away in Wrigleyville Mesa: The Denouement

. Friday, March 6, 2009


And on the last day - he chilled. After a couple days of planning around and rushing to baseball games, the lady and I decided to spend a day perusing the offerings of the greater Mesa area. Really, most of the towns you've heard of in Arizona, since geographically every town there is about half an hour from each other. It was, in a word, fuckyeah.

Chase Park, Where You Can Spit With Your Jaws Clenched

We drove to downtown Phoenix to see the place. It's interesting - some very modern and expensive-looking townhouses a few blocks away from dilapidated homes that looked like squatter shacks. We also swung by Chase Field, in part of flip it the bird and exorcise the demons of the 2007 playoff pantsing our Boys in Blue received. We saw this lovely banner, about the size of a Chicago greystone.

All the kids in the entire state who signed up to Say No!



Eating Arizona


I'm an unrepentant fat bastard - if not necessarily in stature, then surely in attitude. And I spent more than a few minutes leading up to the trip wondering where to eat and how much of it I could eat. And from the traditional Mexican at ... um ... Tradiciones, to the breakfast burrito and industrial park al fresco dining at Crackers & Co, there was plenty of good shit to be had. It got to the point where I was talking about the next meal while completing the current one. The Greater Mesa Chamber of Commerce ended up awarding me the Councilman's Medal of Distinguished Fatfuckery. I am honored. Tales of Note:



- Tried the Whataburger, while tragically bypassing the Fatburger, as a sort of challenge to In-N-Out. There was the general thought that perhaps I had built up my one In-N-Out experience, overhyped it in my mind, and it might not actually be the religious experience I seem to think. Whataburger was good - they had that excellent blend of mustard and onion that you can't quite define but that takes a burger from good to damn good. It was my favorite Arizona burger ... for about 14 hours, when I had an In-N-Out Burger in Tempe. No contest. Fucking In-N-Out, Double-Double, Animal Style. Order of fresh fries. Ice cold root beer. There are no words. Hopefully, it's the last meal I'll have before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Ironically, I said "what a burger!" I'm salivating writing this. Fucking In-N-Out. Shut the fuck up, Donny.

- The Cactus League Web site makes sure you know that Hohokam has a concession stand specialty - Chicago-style hot dogs. This is what it looks like, framed by a cold Old Style and one of our superior koozies (stay tuned for a new design soon!):

Crotch beer is delicious beer

Gotta tell you, it wasn't quite as good as a steamed Wrigley Dog. The hot dog was plump, but no Vienna Beef in terms of flavor. the onions did not come out of a hopper, and as you can see, the relish isn't quite as neon as we Chicagoans would like. The taste was okay, but nothing special. Perhaps it's to prove to Chicago to AZ transplants that bittersweet maxim that you can never go home again.

Greatest City in the World - But Fuckin' Cold

Q: You live in the greatest city in the world, and are coming home to said city. So why might one's girlfriend be a slight bit pissed at the idea?

A: Ah.

Thanks for Putting Up

This is, by my count, the third time I've offered my version of "What I Did Over Summer Vacation." For those of you who read, my thanks. And another shout out to the College of Idiots crew. If you aren't all reading their blog, you should be. Guys, come to Chicago some time this season, and the beers are on ... Steve.

Enjoy your weekend. I'll be working all weekend in San Fran.

2 comments:

Mitch said...

Thanks for the most enjoyable travel log. Great pics. I am planning to head to Wrigley Field for the first time ever this spring. Also considering the pub crawl if a certain Miller pro I know will agree to it.

Steve said...

make it happen - the pub crawl will be quite the time.