Consider this Post an Intermission

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Consider this Post an Intermission

. Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Like many other Cubs fans lucky enough to live in the kickassest city in the world, I get a lot of my Cubs fix from WGN, even in the offseason. Their Sports Central show usually gets the first - and sometimes the best - substantive interviews with new players. Listen to a radio station often enough, and you get to know a lot of their recurring commercials ad nauseum. Get it? Ad naus ... ugh. But one in particular always makes me want to change the station.

It's for Flashpoint Academy, a tiny private college in Chicago that clearly had an employee write their Wikipedia page, and is currently the only college website I know with a picture of a helicopter and exploding skyline on their front page. But these things are trifles - it's the tag line of the commercials that gets me, especially as I have to hear it at least six times on my drive to work in the morning:

"Get into the media arts industry the right way, at Flashpoint Academy!"

Okay, so apparently going to this for-profit college is the correct manner of getting into this particular industry. Which just sort of sticks in my head (as many things tend to do when you hear them enough times). What, I would wonder, is the "wrong way" to get into the digital media arts? I have a lot of time to think while stuck on the Kennedy, so I came up with this:

Even for the talented and driven, life can turn cruel in an instant. They say past success is no indicator of an easy life in the future, but you never really realize that until you've hit rock bottom fast, without even an instant to question why it was happening. All these things went through Josh's mind as he tried to mentally put himself somewhere - anywhere - else than where he was at the moment. For him, it wasn't an act of spirituality - it was a necessity, an act of self-preservation.

The nameless, mouth-breathing creative director soon zipped up, indifferently giving Josh a couple of crumpled 20 dollar bills and the promise of some Flash or Dreamweaver work the following week. As he numbly shambled toward another inevitable humilation in the miscarriage that had become his life, Josh thought "if only I had gotten into the digital media arts industry the right way - at Flashpoint Academy." He would have cried then, but he had lost that ability years ago.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. I don't think this is what my 5th grade teacher had in mind when she told us to unleash our creativity on the world.

0 comments: