Weak, Vince Vaughn. Weak.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Weak, Vince Vaughn. Weak.

. Wednesday, November 19, 2008


"Attention! I have planted a bomb somewhere here. If one more fucking person yells 'you're so money,' I'm going for the detonator. You got that, assholes?"

This caught my eye while browsing through a rare up-to-date magazine in the work cafeteria. It's a feature on Vince Vaughn done by a writer who really, really enjoys himself - almost as much as he enjoys taking the piss out of Vince Vaughn. Witness the following exchange, from Esquire:

Maybe Belfast grabbed such a strong hold on him because of his struggles to hold his own opposites together. Or maybe it's because he was raised in a divided city himself: Chicago. He's asked the question that all Chicago natives must answer in their hearts shortly after they take their first breath, coloring their fates and their futures for the rest of their lives. It's the question that answers every other question:

Cubs or White Sox?

"I root for both teams," Vaughn says.

You can't root for both teams.

"I really do."

No. You can't.

He looks genuinely perplexed.

"But..."

No buts.

"I'm a Cubs fan," he says, finally and a little sadly, because that's a hard thing to admit. "As a kid, the Cubs were my team."

Now we're getting --

"That being said, when the White Sox won the World Series, I was rooting for them the whole way. I go to Comiskey Park, and I root for them against anyone in the American League and anyone in the National League except for the Cubs. And a lot of Sox fans don't respect that. And the same with Cubs fans. They think you have to root for one or the other."

They think that because you do.

"I've always rooted for both," he says, raising his hands, I don't know what to tell you. "Because I love Chicago most of all."

He sinks deeper into the couch, exhausted by his lies. Only seconds later, he pops back up, looking as though he realizes he's made a terrible mistake.

"I love Los Angeles, too," he says. "I don't own a house here right now. I own a place in Chicago. But I consider Los Angeles home as well -- I moved here when I was eighteen years old, and this city's been very good to me. So many great neighborhoods....I might get a place here at some point. I spend a lot of time here, and I do like it. I like it a lot. I love it, actually. It's just that Chicago's where I'm from, you know what I mean? That's all it is."


If some douchebag writer for Fancy Pants Monthly could wrap his mind around the concept, then certainly a born and bred Chicagoan should. What the hell, Vince Vaughn?

2 comments:

J.J. said...

You can't root for both. Period. No Exceptions. Either the Cubs are playing or there's not a game worth watching.

movie buff said...

Vince Vaughn is a spaztastic actor