WAIW Sketchbook: New Look Logos

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

WAIW Sketchbook: New Look Logos

. Wednesday, October 29, 2008


In need of improvement?

As loyal reader Wolfie pointed other the other day, Cubs.com writer Carrie Muskat (who is one R away from a really cool last name) recently had an interesting mailbag letter. A Mr. Tim J., from Park City Utah suggested that we give the Cubs a more menacing look and logo to shed the mantle of Lovable Losers. Carrie "The Muskrat" Muskat let Tim off with a two sentence reply that we didn't find all that interesting. But isn't blogging all about putting your money where your mouth is and improving on those things in the media you feel you could do better? In that spirit, I've taken the initiative to create new, terrifying logos in the effort to turn our Lovable Losers into Vicious Victors, Skull-chomping Champs, and Los Osos Ferociosos.

I would like to point out at this point that I an not now, nor have I ever been, an artist. But I like drawing almost as much as I suck at it.


This logo is hemorraging - like Neil Cotts with runners on base



I always thought the friendly standing bear was up to something, just biding his time. Lesson: never trust a bear with a bat.



Inspired by my love for all things Zombie, this logo would encourage our players to better attack the other team's weakness - their delicious brains.


Don't feel bad for the kid - he'll soon be in Cardinal Fan Heaven. Which is to say, Hell.


I conclude with the most terrifying thing on the Internet - plushies

9 comments:

Bree said...

Lovely artwork, really. My favorite is the Bart Simpson-meets-Peanuts' Woodstock getting yanked off the bike.

Lauralee Settles said...

What's the bear doing in the 2nd picture? Attacking McDonald's fries??

wolfie said...

Mother of GOD, I've been laughing my ass off for five minutes straight. A series of truly inspired posts.

lauralee, maybe it says more about us than the positively crappy drawings that we both saw a bloody yellow stump and thought "McDonalds fries!"

I'm split between the zombie bear - for the love of zombies - and the cardinal kid getting what he deserves.

lauralee Settles said...

That was pretty funny Wolfie......at least I'm not alone!!!!!!!!!!!! It does look like mcdonald's fries right??!!

John said...

Dammit, it's difficult to find a flesh-colored Sharpie marker

lauralee said...

Oh....that's a...hand......interesting.....

wolfie said...

lauralee, you're not alone. In fact, not only does it look just like fries, but they even included the blue, bloody log/tube-thing I like to hold my fries with when I hit up McD's.

John said...

You art-school snobs. Just taking potshots at the working man. You'll all be sorry when my childish sketchings are hailed as "outsider art" by New York elite types. Then I'll dance - DANCE, I SAY

Lauralee said...

Outsider art? You might want to check out John MacGregor's "The Discovery of the Art of the Insane"