Wait 'Til Next Year? I'll Be There

Monday, October 6, 2008

Wait 'Til Next Year? I'll Be There

. Monday, October 6, 2008


It has been a rough weekend.  After watching my team not even show up for the playoffs, it is hard to bring yourself to write an entry about the season that could've been.  Baseball is different then any other sport.  In the course of a season, you get to know the players on your team as you spend every day with them and form some sort of attachment with them (yes, even you Bob Howry).  On bye days, something just doesn't feel right.  For several months, this is your life.  It is hard to put yourself out like that.  For some, heartbreak after heartbreak is too much to bear.  For others, there is the wait until next year mentality.  I don't know if it is a blessing or a curse, but we have been infected with the latter here at WAIW.


This season has been a special one.  I remember being on vacation for Opening Day, which was somewhat disappointing.  Somewhere in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, I had the idea that it would be fun for John and I to put our constant sarcasm and obsessiveness about the Cubs to some sort of productive use, and start this blog.  Upon my return, John was immediately on board.  After some initial planning (Chasing 100 was a potential name for the site...seems so odd now), and bribing work colleagues with a case of beer to design a logo for us, Wasting Away in Wrigleyville was born.  It's fair to say that the site evolved over the course of the season (for all you Johnny Come Latelys, scroll back to the older posts and see our evolution - it will keep you busy in the off season).  We even developed a small but loyal following, and we appreciate all of those that read our ramblings (even when John goes on some sort of Dante diversion!), vote in our polls (especially considering Taint Poois Fartinals and Lou "Pecs" Piniella have been choices), and comment on our posts (special shout out to the faithful Bree and the antagonistic Wolfie!).  Of course, it would be a lie to say that John and I hadn't discussed how great the season would be if the first year we blogged about them, they won the Series.  Alas, it was not meant to be, but it just leaves me excited for next year.

Additionally, it has been a great experience getting to know the fellow Cubs blog community (and there are truly some great ones out there).  I have to take a moment to specifically thanks Cub Blogging, College of Idiots, League of Her Own, Thunder Matt's Saloon, View From The Bleachers, and Wrigleyville 23 for helping us out with links and name dropping us in the occasional post.  

We hope you enjoyed the season, we know we did.  Be sure to check out the site throughout the off season, as John and I plan on updating whenever anything comes up or whenever we get the urge to rant.  Here's to next year!


5 comments:

Bree said...

Yay! I am faithful! And I have enjoyed this blog so, so much.

But damn, that lack of a series hurt. I cried a bit during each of those Game 2 errors. And I cried a bit more whenever Fukudome walked to the plate. Waiting for more Cubs baseball is going to be like waiting for another infuriating season of Lost. Like waiting for a Republican to pronounce nuclear correctly. Like waiting for my apartment to fix the leak in my roof.

I would say it'll be a long, cold winter... but I live in Florida. It'll be balmy at best.

I would say I'd follow a Bears blog... but I'm a Packer fan. Silly, eh?

But what I will say and actually back up is that this has been an entertaining, informational and witty blog. Thanks for the words. Keep up the great work.

cubbiejulie said...

*sniff, sniff*

(sings) "It's so haaaaaaaard, to say gooodbyyyyyye, to yesterdaaaaaAAAAAAAY. . . ."

Ginger Russ said...

And thank you for the hilarity throughout the season. Even though the season ended poorly, it was fun to become part of the blogging community and yours is definitely one of the best out there.

wolfie said...

Antagonistic?!?!?! Grrrrrrrr!!!

I'm honored. Thank you for the shout out.

I'm really happy that you guys decided to do this blog. "Will levitate bat for food" had me laughing my ass off for days.

But enough with the kind words – next season, stop being such lazy jerk-offs and post every day!

wolfie said...

PS - Wisdom from my wife - the eternal optimist:

During my drunken Sunday afternoon stupor, I wondered, "Wasn't it better during my childhood, when (besides '84 and '89) there was no hope. I was heartbroken each and every day, but just by a little bit? And everyone rooted for the team because they really loved them, not because they had any sort of chance?"

My wife said, “You’re slurring your words you pathetic drunk.” And then, “That just leads to a slow death of the soul. This summer was much more fun.”

I know, I know: If it didn't come after a 97-win season then when will it come? Who knows. But we’re moving towards a better place guys.