Throwing Strikes, Stealing Hearts

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Throwing Strikes, Stealing Hearts

. Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Making Dashboard Confessional look like Rowdy Roddy Pieper

Listening to Pandora at work, I'm normally quite pleased with the selection of songs that appear, though sometimes their ideas are quite puzzling.  However, sometimes in their confusing choices, you get a song that makes you squeal with joy when you see what is happening.  This was the case today, as I heard The Freshman come on.  Now, I'm certainly no fan of The Verve Pipe, but get me some ironic music from my junior high years, and I will be singing like its Motown Philly.  After listening for a little but, I started to notice that this was not The Verve Pipe I remembered.  Checking out the artist, I see it is no other than Cincinnati Red Bronson Arroyo - crooning out a cover of a song that even as 11 year old we felt was lame.  My first reaction was to immediately let John know the brilliant discovery I had made.  After fits of laughter, Google searches were in order.

Low and behold, Arroyo has a whole album of covers from the 90s.  The kicker is the title - Covering the Bases.  He hits all your Now That's What I Call Music Vol. 3 favorites - including Slide by the Goo Goo Dolls.  You would hope that this was done with a sense of irony, but looking at the album cover, Arroyo is crazy serious about his tunes.  And look at that font!  It says serious musician!

Let this be a call to all Cubs fans out there.  Next time we play the Reds and Bronson is starting, come up with some good signs.  After all, we can't let something like this go by without immense ridicule!



2 comments:

Jen said...

This is GOLD!

John said...

Nice to see the tag I invented continuing to live on.