WAIW Salute: Estelle Getty

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

WAIW Salute: Estelle Getty

. Wednesday, July 23, 2008

On July 22, Estelle Getty walked the plank of life

We have a policy here at Wasting Away In Wrigleyville (ok, well, we just started this in April and this is the first time it has happened, but every policy needs to start somewhere, right?) where if we have used you in a reference (as we did here), we will salute your life for allowing us the priviledge of using your identity for hilarious analogies.

Estelle Getty was, in my opinion, the goldenest of the golden girls. Her horny, alcoholic, gambling addiction rants was the stuff of legends. While many will fondly remember her Sunday night antics leading into "Empty Nest", I like to look at her whole body of work. And by that, I mean "Stop, or my Mom will Shoot." I remember purchasing the VHS of that fine film (3.2 out of 10 on IMDB.com!) at a gas station promotion (buy 8 gallons of gas, get movies Blockbuster couldn't rent!).



Slyvester Stallone's one career regret...except for Demolition Man, Cliffhanger, Judge Dredd...


So we salute you, Estelle Getty. We will remember you by your famous words:

If I met a man who was over seventy but still looked half-way decent, I'd be on
my back faster than you could say, "I've fallen and I can't get up!"

0 comments: