Worst Move Ever: No More Mad-dog

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Worst Move Ever: No More Mad-dog

. Tuesday, June 17, 2008


Greg Maddux, prior to attending his weekly swing party

The people have spoken. In a fairly tight race, 38% of you believe the worst move the Cubs have made was not signing Greg Maddux after his 20-win, Cy Young Award 1992 season. He went on to have great success with the Atlanta Braves, leaving us Cubs fans wondering what could have been.

On 1980s television night at Wrigley, Greg Maddux dressed as Corky

The Cubs did finally realize their mistake - a decade later - and brought Maddux back. He was solid, if not stellar, and was realized so he could go out on a playoff team. I have said it before and I will say it again: with the Madres not in contention, the Cubs need to acquire Maddux for the second half of the season. We will likely be in the playoffs, and having his experience will do nothing but help the rotation. Make it happen, and we can right this wrong.

2 comments:

Bree said...

I do love Maddux, and I'm sure he's glowing knowing he's won the poll. I saw him steal second in 2006, only his 5th stolen base, I think. Fun times. Anyway... I'm going to the game tonight in Tampa. Any obnoxious sign requests?

John said...

I'm at a complete loss. What hurtful thing do you say to the Rays and their fans except ... well ... "you're the Tampa Bay Rays"?